Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I am excited...

Why you ask? Because it is October! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE October! There are so many things to do in October and I get so excited as the first leaves start to change color. October is filled with so many family activities and things that are quickly becoming "tradition" to us here in the Cash household.


One thing we do every year is October is the "Tales of the Crypt" event at Mount Holly Cemetary. Yes, I know it sounds a bit morbid, but trust me it is not. It is put on by a local high school and if you live in LR area I HIGHLY recommend this FREE activity. Students dress in period clothes and act out highly researched speeches about a cemetery resident, letting visitors experience a piece of the person's life and some history. It's very interesting and it takes place on October 14th this year.


We also have our "bonfire/camp out" night in our back yard. I think we all look forward to the cooler nights and we celebrate them by having a hot dog, s'more making bonfire right in our back yard! The kids LOVE IT!

October is also my wedding anniversary, so that always means a date night for hubby and I. We don't often take the time to do things just him and I so this is one day out of year that is just for us. I look forward to this every year.
Today the kids and I are going to start our lesson plans on American Indians. I think they will really enjoy this unit study. I am also excited about THIS:

How great of a way is that to end our study on American Indians. We get to go sleep in a teepee! I am so excited for the kids! Not my idea of four star luxury, but they are pumped! Petit Jean Mountain State Park has two teepee campsites they rent out from March-November and they are usually completely booked, but not today! I was able to book us the teepee for the end of October. Now I just pray it doesn't rain that day! :(

"There's only ONE October!" Isn't that MLB's slogan for the World Series? Another one of my favorite things to watch. Okay, so maybe I got used to my Braves being in the playoffs for the last decade and since they are no where near the playoffs this year, it will be different. I will be sitting there watching the playoffs just like I am every year, only this year I will be wishing it was 1995 again, with my Javy Lopez jersey draped over my TV for good luck, watching the Braves FINALLY win their World Series Championship!

With all those activities how could we forget Halloween! I am trying to talk hubby into dressing up like Dog the Bounty Hunter and Beth! How funny would that be!!! We attend so many Halloween activities. Boo At The Zoo, Pumpkin Patches and The Corn Maze! How fun is that! I think this year we will try it with just flashlights at night. That sounds like fun! :)

This post jumped around a lot, I know. I am just so excited at the thought of all the FUN things we get to do in October! As you can see we are gearing up for a super fun filled October! This is just a few of the reasons that I am so happy it is October! What do you like to do in October?

5 comments:

tondays said...

I love October too, but for more selfish reasons - it's my birthday month! But I also love the cooler weather - it is the best weather ever - not too hot & not yet too cold, just perfect. And I love the leaves changing - beautiful.

Megan L Hutchings said...

I ADORE OCTOBER...ADORE IT ;)! This morning I woke up in the best mood b/c it is October 1st. It sounds like you have lots of GREAT things planned for the month. I know I don't have to remind you, but be sure to take lots of pics!!!

You could cheer for the Cubs this year...for a blogging friend :)!

Givens-Craig Family said...

Oh October is such a great month. The 28th is definitely a good day. HA Now, are you sure that the "free" thing is "free" or do they let you in, then come find you, and make you leave or pay? Sorry, I am having a tough time letting that go. Where is the corn maze you go to? That sounds like something the kiddo might like. I cannot wait to see photos from the teepee. We have only done Boo at the Zoo once so maybe we will try again this year. How was the park yesterday? See you Saturday!

Givens-Craig Family said...

One more thing.....you need to be cheering for those Angels. (Lots of old Travs on that team) :-)

Givens-Craig Family said...

Okay, if you cheered for the Cubs and the Angels last night, could you please switch to the Dodgers and Sox because you did not do good...... :-)