Tuesday, June 24, 2008

All I need to know...


Tonight was our last game of the season. This was Ethan's first year playing and he LOVED it! I knew he would, that child has not seen a ball that he did not enjoy throwing around.

Don't you remember those posters that said "All I need to Know I Learned in..." Well that could be the theme of my time in the dug out this season. I learned some very important lessons this season watching these cute five and six year old boys. Here are just a few of my favorites and most memorable as seen from a mom in the dug out:

1.) The best part about playing the outfield is that there is lots of grass to pick and throw in the air and when that gets boring, you just sat down in the grass.

2. ) A trip to the restroom is always more important than anything else you might be doing on the baseball field; and trust me there were times that this was truly the case.

3.) You always hit the ball harder and better if you warm up by hitting the ground in front of you with the bat repeatedly before the pitcher pitches. That seemed to be something the majority of boys did.

4.) Batting helmets are amazing inventions. You can hit yourself in the helmet with a bat over and over and over again and never feel a thing! or if you are lucky you can get a friend to do it for you.

5.) When there is a 10x4 fenced in area with 13 little boys.. anything goes! :)

I so enjoyed my time in the dug out. Over the last two months I have seen each child grow and mature. It has been such a blessing to me. I love being around children and watching my first born have fun is the best!

I got so lax in my picture taking during baseball. Hayden's mother took a TON of pictures! Just tonight she gave me a disc with pictures on it and it had a 40 minute slide slow of pictures of my child! That is dedication! Now you see why I never needed my camera. Hubby and I are so thankful we met this family. Here is my favorite picture from this year. It was so funny, the boys bat 3rd and 4th in the line up and they are some of our best hitters. That night they both got great hits and made it home.. ON THEIR OWN, they hugged and turned to walk into the dug out. Well, being the picture taking mothers we are.. we both went "AWWW!" and had to have a a freeze frame of the moment.

The best thing I learned this season is that no matter how dirty and sweaty these little boys were they could still be some of the sweetest kids in the world. Even after being coached to never volunteer for things I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

After all was said and done tonight and the Ranger players had all left, Ethan and Hayden take time to sit down and reflect on their season. They tell a few tall tales, they toss a few balls, but all in all it was the end of a baseball season but the start of a great friendship.
Oh, and I almost forgot.. we closed on our house today. I had kept quiet it just to be sure and not jinx us, but it became official today. We signed the papers and got the keys. I took my camera to closing but hubby made me feel like a dork when he asked me if I was really going to take pictures in there.. so I just took a pic of hubby and the kids with our new loan/title paperwork.

2 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

It sounds like it was a successful baseball season. I'm not surprised at all at how good Ethan is at sports, especially baseball. It sounds like he is a natural athlete. I love the pics of he and his friend Hayden. You are right, that was probably even more special than the season itself. That warmed my heart! I can't believe you are moving and didn't say a word!!!

Megan L Hutchings said...

This has been one of my favorite posts yet!!!

Your little Ethan reminds me of my little Vance! I can only hope that V is as sweet and loving as E ;)! The pic of he and his friend is ABSOLUTELY Priceless!!!

Congratulations on closing...it sure feels GREAT!