Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Ten Things Tuesday

It is quiet here in the ICU, my patients are having a good night and I have decided to blog. I thought since it was Tuesday I would play the "Ten Things on Tuesday" and make of list of ten things I am looking forward to this holiday season. I hope some of you will play along and list some of you favorite things about this time of year.

1. First and foremost, I am looking forward to celebrating Jesus' birth. Teaching my children the "REAL" meaning of Christmas is so important to me. Yesterday while shopping at Hobby Lobby, I had a proud mom moment. We were looking through all the trees and Christmas decorations and Ethan turned to me and said, "...you know it's not all about the trees, or Rudolph, or the presents..." and Scarlett said "Yeah, it's about baby Jesus and his birthday". Wow, what a great thing to hear as a mom! I purchased Lisa Whelchel's book "The ADVENTure of Christmas" last year and it is WONDERFUL! It has projects and stories for each of the 24 days leading up to Christmas. I look forward to working through this book with the kids this year. I highly recommend it for anyone that wants to help their kids "find Jesus" in the season.

2. I look forward to finding the perfect gift. I just love finding something I know is just right for that special person.

3. I look forward to getting dressed up and going out on New Year's Eve. Yes, hubby, I said it. It has been years since the two of us have gone out on New Year's Eve and I have decided this year is just for us. I want to get dressed up and go to a big party.

4. I can't wait to get my Christmas tree and Christmas decoration up. I look forward to being in a new house and spending Christmas morning around the fire. This will be the first time hubby and I have had a fireplace. I can't wait to read "The Night before Christmas" around the fireplace, with a cup of hot cocoa.

5. Visiting friends and family in Tennessee. I stress right up until we are in the car leaving, but it always turns out just fine and I manage to get everything done for Christmas. I think I operate best under stress.

6. This one is a big secret we are keeping from my kids, but since they dont' read my blog I can talk about it here. It is definitely something I am excited about and just another reason I love my hubby so much. Even though he is slightly opposed to this idea he has agreed. He knows how much the kids and I want a puppy. So, "Santa Claus" is bringing the kids a puppy! I think we have narrowed it down and possibly decided on a Shorkie, which is a Shihtzu and yorkie mix. TOO CUTE! I think I am the most excited about seeing my kids face when they open the box from Santa and there is a real puppy with a big red bow! They will be the most excited two kids you have ever seen!

7. I am looking forward to my birthday. Not neccesarily getting older, but a day just for me. Being that I have a December birthday it has not always felt special, but hubby does make sure it is a day just for me, and if all else fails, I celebrate it myself. Last year did not go as planned on my birthday and I had a big party just for me. I bought so much snack food! I spread out the holiday tablecloth and all the food and the four of us had a great time. :) It made me feel a lot better.

8. Did I mention shopping on Black Friday? LOVE IT! I search through the ads and find the MUST haves vs. "if I have time". I love the stores that open at 4am! I am there! I get so excited, it is like Christmas for me a month early! :)

9. Spending time with my family. Christmas at my house has always been a HUGE deal. Ask hubby, when he would stay at my house on Christmas Eve while we were dating he did not believe me when I told him that we were up at 5am to open presents (yes, I was well into my twenties). Some of my best memories are Christmas Eve after my mom and dad AKA Mr. and Mrs. Claus went to bed and my two brothers and I would sneak into the living room and grab our stockings. We would all pile on one bed and dump them out. Oh what fun! We had the BEST stockings. Still do. My mom makes stockings for all twelve of us in the family.

10. One of my patients has his TV on the music channel and they are playing instrumental Christmas music. It is making me so happy. I think overall I am just looking forward to BEING this Holiday season. Another year has passed, another year filled with so many blessings. There is so much to be thankful for this holiday and I plan to spend my time living in the moment every day.

Okay, so that was a long list! It is now 6am and I get to go home in just a little while. Wow! I passed the time well. Hubby is off work today so I am looking forward to spending the day with my family.

What are some of the things you are looking forward to most this holiday season?

5 comments:

Givens-Craig Family said...

Okay I am definitely going to play along and list my Ten. However, it is going to be later - going to hang out with Poppaw today (shhh don't tell Hayden - he had to go to school) I suspect my 10 will look a lot like yours. Enjoy your day - get some rest!

Megan L Hutchings said...

Girl...you and I are two peas in a pod!

Can I just say that I am praying with every ounce that we are in our home by Christmas!

Also, we have a Shorkie and he is GREAT! His name is Ashworth, he does not shed, and he is great with Vance! What a wonderful gift!

When you come to TN just call so I can wish you a Merry Christmas!

Lindsay-ann said...

I enjoyed reading your 10 things about Christmas. It sounds like you have a wonderful family Christmas. I look forward to Christmas because my brother in law flies over from Australia and stays with us. We only see him once a year. I love Christmas dinner too. I could eat Christmas dinner every day!!
Lindsay

Michele said...

Holidays - I just love all the tradition of the season - making special breads, cookies, meals, the music, time with just our family - just the memories that holidays bring makes me happy!

Leigh Ann said...

I can't wait for S & E to get their puppy!