Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Praying for our Nation

For the TV and time to be consumed with the Presidential election over the past year and a half it was over in a flash. The new president elect made his acceptance speech, and the other gracefully stepped down. I think as a nation it is time now to be Americans, as Christians it is time now to pray for our nation, rather you are Republican or Democrat, we are all American's and our great nation needs healing.

2 Chronicles 7:14 (New Living Translation)

14 Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.

As we watched the election results come across our television last night it was a great time to talk with our kids about democracy and how blessed they are to be Americans. They felt defeated that who "we" had voted for did not win, but I assured them how great it was to even be able to vote. Many did not have the right to choose, many countries had no voice.

When I went in to vote yesterday morning the people working at the site were so great with the kids. They explained it all to them from how to fill out the form, how to place it in the machine and even gave them stickers for helping their mom vote. It was a very slow time during the day so I was able to take my time and explain the whole process to them. We decided that since they couldn't vote we would make our own voting booth at home and give them the chance to vote.

We made a little booth and I printed out a voting sheet. They were able to choose who they wanted for President, and I also included some questions from what we had learned that day. They had a lot of fun and even played all night in the booth. Pretending to vote, or to help others (which were their stuffed animals) come in and vote.

Hubby and Ethan went to bed early which left Scarlett and I up to talk. It is so funny how mature she seems when it is just her and I talking. As we got up to go to bed she said, "..thanks mommy, that was good conversation." I just love my kids!

3 comments:

Megan L Hutchings said...

What a wonderful activity ;)! I just think your children are brilliant!!!

Givens-Craig Family said...

What a great post! Have I told you that I am just proud to call you friend? Prayer is so important and your post just sums it up perfectly. Of course, I also have to agree with Megan, your kids ARE brilliant. I took Hayden to vote with me yesterday too. He loved it but was not so happy about some of the election results this morning!!

Lindsay-ann said...

Just catching up with your blog. I love how you made a little voting booth for your kids. What a great fun idea. I would have loved that as a child.
We watched the election unfold with interest here in England.
Lindsay