Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Little Things

Learning to appreciate the little things in life is a "life lesson" I need to learn. I let things get me down and stress me and really stay with me way more than they should. This week has been one of those weeks. I am so ready to move into our "new house" and yet the house is not ready for us. The floors have been there waiting to be layed, and they will be layed but not until the week of Thanksgiving. Not a big deal compared to the bigger picture. We could have no house, we could not have this opportunity. In the grand scheme of things, waiting another week or two to move in is really a small thing.


I sat at work tonight and thought about all the little things in my life that will not change no matter when I move into our house. I need to learn appreciation for all the small things that surround me daily.

After my "mini-melt down" I had today. Poor Abby, I think she must just know WHEN to call me! It seems that anytime I am ready for mini melt downs she calls me at just the right time. Just when I need someone to hear me out and agree with my side, Abby is there! Thanks, girl! :) I am ready to move on and appreciate all the small things! Don't sweat the small stuff, right???



I decided these things: th e mindset that something great (or even something planned) has to happen before we can be happy is a myth. If you believe that winning a prize or buying yourself that great item that you've been wanting so long is going to make you happy, you're absolutely right. It will make you happy...for about two hours. Then you'll be looking for something else to bring on that shot of joy. Take pleasure out of the little things in life that happen more frequently and you'll find the long term solution to true happiness.

I wanted to include a poem by Mother Theresa that sums it all up. Life is beautiful. Appreciate it!


Life is an opportunity, benefit from it. Life is beauty, admire it.Life is bliss, taste it.Life is a dream, realize it.Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a duty, complete it.Life is a game, play it.Life is costly, care for it.Life is wealth, keep it. Life is love, enjoy it. Life is mystery, know it. Life is a promise, fulfill it. Life is sorrow, overcome it.Life is a song, sing it. Life is a struggle, accept it.Life is tragedy, confront it.Life is an adventure, dare it.Life is luck, make it.Life is too precious, do not destroy it. Life is life, fight for it.

3 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

I'm sorry you had a tough time. It is stressful moving. I totally understand. Thanks for the reminder of not sweating the small stuff. I think autism has also taught me that lesson. You are SO right...it is the little things in life that matter not all the stuff! I couldn't agree with you more. Hugs!

Megan L Hutchings said...

It is so funny that you wrote this today. I am so ready to be in our house too and I have to remind myself how blessed we are even if we can't move in until after Christmas.

Beautiful poem written by the kindest woman ;)!

Abby said...

Hey girl - I could tell you had just about had it. I hope you're feeling better!