Thursday, September 18, 2008

I am the mother of a SEVEN year old.. OH MY!

Today is the day I have dreaded all month. I have become the mother of a seven year old! Yikes! That hurts my heart. At 3:38pm on September 18, 2001 my world changed forever! Oh, what a wonderful change it was! I have been so lucky and so blessed to be graced by God to be this wonderful child's mother. It is bittersweet watching your children grow. Today was a day filled with WHATEVER Ethan wanted and along the way we had lots of stories and lots of questions about the day he was born and "what he was like..." when he was a baby. Only a few times did I get teared up while telling a "my little baby" story. :)

My favorite book to read (aka cry while trying to read) to Ethan when he was a baby was "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch. In the book the mom is growing old with her son and at each stage she quietly rocks him in her lap and sings "I'll love you forever, I"ll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be". At the end of the book, the son is a grown man the mom is very old and he sneaks in her room and rocks her and sings the song to her! You talk about a book that I NEVER made it through without crying and as I am typing this my terribly emotional self is crying. This book always hit so close to home. It made you think of the reality that they would grow up, but it also made you realize the fact that they will ALWAYS, ALWAYS be your baby! I recommend to any mother, read that book! It is not a bedtime story read, just a "every mom should read" sort of book. :)


Ethan's fun started last night. After his baseball game (which, I should say he had a great hit.. but I have no pictures.. no camera...AGAIN) we went to eat dinner at our favorite Mexican place, Senor Tequila. We told the water it was his birthday and he was SO RED in the face when they sang to him. He had the biggest smile! It was one of those smiles and one of those moments you always remember. I love the fact that something so simple can thrill this child beyond
understanding. :) Here are a couple of pictures of Ethan and Hayden during the singing and Ice Cream dessert. :) Scarlett was there, but at that very moment she has walked away for a short pout that "it is not her birthday and she didn't get any ice cream!)
















Today we spent all day at the park! We had pizza, cupcakes, candles that would not light, drinks, balls and games. The kids had a BLAST! They all looked so tired! I did charge my camera batter and did take my camera to the park, I just forgot one thing... my card! Thankfully Ms. Nancie had her camera and I will upload pics as soon as I get them. :) I found a Razorback cupcake cake and Ethan LOVED IT! Had to have it!

This afternoon we had the make the stops for all the free birthday stuff! Toys R Us, Simon Gidgits Club, dinner and soccer practice. I am exhausted!!!

This is just a small list of things I love about Ethan at seven years old:

I love that he takes life in leaps! He is passionate about so many things. If he loves something, or if he even likes something he puts his whole heart into that one thing. He is a very dedicated child. I just love the faith of a child. I love that he is so artistic. Rather it is painting, coloring, or cooking. He loves to get in there and make a mess! He loves to create and use his imagination. Remember the pirate ship??? He will do things like that all day! He can create a whole world within his mind. It is such a wonderful thing.
Most of all I love that fact that he loves his mommy!!! The first thing he does every morning is get up and find me and give me a big hug! He is so thankful for having hubby and I as parents! Some days it is hard to believe that he truly thinks he got the "great deal"! He has said so many times that "he had the best gift by having us as parents"! WOW! Talk about a "you can have whatever you want" moment! He loves his Daddy the same! He is such a loving child. He doesn't hesitate to show it! I just love that about him. Ethan is a hugger. He is the affectionate one. If I ever meet you and I tell my kids to tell you "HELLO".. watch out, Ethan will be hugging you with that hello! :) and lastly, Ethan LOVES, LOVES, LOVES his baby sister! Sure he can get mad at her, but he is also the one that always gives in to her. He always gives up whatever he has so she can have it. He tries to help her learn new things. He is so patient with her and at times I know it is hard.

Sweet Ethan, I hope today was a lot of fun! Sorry your party is going to be late, but I hope you had a great birthday! I love you so much more than I can express! I am so lucky to be your mommy!!! Happy 7th Birthday, "Eenie"! :)

Thank you Ms. Nancie and Hayden for spending your day with us. We had a great time!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Ethan! Sounds like he's a gorgeous kid and that he had a great day celebrating his special day. So did my birthday boy! What would we do without them!!!

Givens-Craig Family said...

Okay so now I am sitting here crying! Shame on you for making me do that. Ethan is just a precious person. I LOVE that he and Hayden chose to be friends. It is so neat that it was their choice. I will get photos to you today when I get in from work. Sorry I did not do so last night. We had a BLAST yesterday at the park. Hayden talked about it until he fell asleep. He just kept talking about how lucky he was that Ethan is his best bud.
My best friend (and my mom) each gave me the Love You Forever book when Hayden was born. I still cry when I read it. Like you I have NEVER made it through it without crying.
Happy Birthday AGAIN Ethan! We so enjoyed getting to hang out with you on your special day. (Ms. Scarlett we were so proud to hang out with you too. You always make me smile)

Abby said...

Happy Birthday, Ethan!!!

I loved your post! Michelle, you can just look at Ethan and put away all of those mommy doubts about whether you are doing it right! You are!

Leigh Ann said...

Happy Birthday, Ethan. I love that boy. He ruly is one of the sweetest little guys I have ever met. I loved all the pictures you posted, too. Your mom gave me that book (I don't know if you remember) at my baby shower. Girl, I can't get through it without crying. I cry every single time. It is precious and definitely the way I feel about my own kids.

Glad you had a great day with Ethan turning seven. I still remember coming to the hospital after he was born (I know you do not remember me being there...ha). It seems like it was yesterday. Time is flying by, but I love how you are always doing something fun with E & S. I can tell you are savoring every moment! Love you!

Megan L Hutchings said...

First I must say that I LOVE that book and I have two copies ;)! It is definitely one that will melt your heart!

It sounds like Ethan had a GREAT birthday ;). I absolutely love the last two pics...such a happy boy!