Friday, September 5, 2008

TGIF!!!

This has been a VERY long week for me. I am so tired. I have worked far more than I normally do, plus I started "half" days for school this week to get Scarlett geared up, and working on the house.. which I managed to do nothing on all week! I really would have but I had no time! Next week starts soccer and baseball for Ethan so five days a week will be spent at either practice or a game. Gotta love being a mom! :) Now if I can just get Scarlett interested in something my schedule would be full.

We started Wednesday with a scaled back day of school. I wanted to ease Scarlett in to the routine. She has done SO WELL! I am so proud of her. She has really shown excitement which is just wonderful. I went to work one night and they did extra pages in their books! I am just thrilled that so far it is going well. I know it is only two "scaled back" days but I was even worried about that. Monday morning will be the big breakfast and pictures with our sign that says "Welcome to Kindergarten!". I did take a few pictures of her hard at work. Can't you see the concentration!

Ethan is doing good, too. He is actually asking to read. Which is something I Have prayed would happen. Some days that is the one area I really question my ability to motivate or teach.

I decided that Scarlett was definitely going to need lots of positive reinforcement from me. So I took a little idea from Nanny 911. :) Yes I occasionally have stumbled upon that show. She told the mom to give away "hearts" with something good written on them for each of her children at the dinner table. I thought that was such a great idea. Kids need to hear everyday what they do that is great, what they do that you really noticed and appreciated. I was so afraid in being their "teacher" they would only hear correction, see disappointment or feel frustration and think that those feelings carried over as "mom", too. I started writing a little note on a star and giving it to them at the end of the day. Scarlett was so proud of that star! She wore it all night.

It really was a great motivator for her. Positive reinforcement is going to go a long way to encourage this girl.


We are off to do more fun things today. I can't wait to see what this year holds for us. :) Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Megan L Hutchings said...

I have nothing but admiration for you...mom, teacher, employer, fan, friend, wife, etc. You are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Scarlett is precious with her star! I'm glad she is excited about school. Hope next week starts off terrific!

Givens-Craig Family said...

It is so cool that they are both doing good. I have some books you might want for "fun" reading for Ethan. (If I can find them) They were my way to get Hayden to sit with me and read. We used those stars with him during Kindergarten to help with behavior at school. I wrote something on each one of them that he could do with me or Daddy special for "no cards". It was fun for both of us. I wrote several things and put them in a container for him to draw out at the end of a good day.
You are AMAZING. Those kids of yours are very lucky