Thursday, May 1, 2008

Yo Ho HO! A Pirates Life for ME!

Today was a beautiful day outside! Just the perfect weather for an adventure. My kids decided they were going to play "pirates". I wondered to myself just how they were going to do that.. and the things they came up with just amazed me. They played on their "pirate ship" for over two hours. They even came up with a play and by scene 13, Ethan, the Pirate Captain, was tired and ready for a snack. :) Apparently he was a grouchy and mean captain. Here are just a few of the pictures from their adventure. I just love to watch my kids use their imagination and come up with ideas and adventures all on their own. Today was no exception. I was having so much fun just sitting back and watching.

They built a compass and telescopes:





















They had "shipmates". One was in charge of the left, right, and Clifford the Big Red Dog was in charge of the plank.
Scarlett was in charge of fishing, while Captain Ethan was steering the boat although at this particular time I do remember the Captain yelling "man overboard" and went to save his fellow pirate AKA "KEO".















They would occasionally put their "underwater scuba" gear on and hunt for buried treasure.. and yes they had even placed treasure in the yard to look for. It was so funny to see both of them with big football helmets on and jumping overboard to search for treasure. I was informed by the Captain that a pirate always yells "EUREKA" when he finds a treasure! (I think he had a few facts mixed up.. but who cared.. I was enjoying the show). Pirate Princess Scarlett told me that "...argh! Keep you hands off me treasure..." she sounded serious so I did! :)



















They had thought of everything. They would drop a line for fish, and they had an anchor that they would drop down when they "docked". Somehow it seemed Scarlett was in charge of all the hard work. Captain Ethan stayed at the front of the boat and "steered" while yelling out his orders! :)



















I hope you enjoyed our adventurous day! I leave you with a picture of my beautiful pirate princess who just happens to be turning FIVE in a few days! I am so busy planning a big Fiesta.. but I am sad! It is so hard on me to think that this is it.. this is my last baby, and she is not even a baby anymore. :( She is ready for kindergarten! Ready to be more independent and I am sad! I would love to just keep them little forever.. but I know that would mean missing out on the next phase, the next wonderful adventure and finding out what God has in store for both of my kids. I feel extremely blessed! and so lucky I have my very own Pirate Princess! :) I forgot to mention the pirate belts! Don't ya just love them! For all those times you thought you wouldn't need those old curtain tie backs.. just look what you could do with them! Have a great day!

2 comments:

Megan L Hutchings said...

Michelle ~ you were so kind to stop by my blog so I thought I would do the same for you =)!

I loved reading about your children's adventures...so much fun. I wonder if your son got the "Eureka!" from The Backyardigans? LOL! Also, I noticed your son also has red, curly hair. How old was he when you cut it the first time?

Don't you love Leigh Ann?!?!?

Leigh Ann said...

I loved this story! I love that they are outside using their imaginations. That is what we did as kids isn't it? It seems like kids spend way too much time inside these days, so I loved hearing what E & S were up to today. So cute and very smart!