Thursday, September 11, 2008

A day to be remembered...

Today should just be another day on the calendar. It should just be a Thursday like any other day. Today should be September 11, 2008 but it will never JUST be September 11th again. Not after 9/11/01 that changed everything. I remember so vividly that day. I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with Ethan and was already placed on bed rest so I was confined to my house. I was still in bed when the phone rang and I remember my husband on the other line saying ".. you might want to get up and look at the news, a small plane just hit the World Trade Center...". I got up and by that time they knew it was no small plane, they also knew that something was very, very wrong with another plane. I watched in horror as the second building was hit. I remember my dad calling to check on me, Angie my sister in law came to sit with me knowing I couldn't go anywhere. We watched as t he building collapsed and our world was changed forever. We were so shocked and horrified and at the time felt helpless and defeated.

I remember thinking at that time how could I be bringing a child into this world? How could I be excited when these horrible things were going on right outside my door. Everything was filled with such horrible images but in that we saw the true spirit of America. We came together like never before. There was such pride and such love being shown every where. I think we realized that even though we are truly the greatest nation we are vulnerable. You saw American flags being flown, you saw selfless heroes immerge, you saw a new pride in our nation.

We are so blessed as American's. We live in a country that is free. We can speak our thoughts, vote on our nation's leader, we can truly live in peace. I am reminded daily of how wonderful we have it here in America. On 9/18/01, I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. The TV was still filled with the horrible images from 9/11, life outside was still turned upside down, there was still great sadness but I knew we as American's would be okay. Feeling defeated and the thoughts of "why would I bring a child into this world" was exactly what the enemy wanted! They wanted us to feel hopeless and like we should " give up" but guess what they didn't get what they wanted! I was so very happy and filled with such pride. My son would know about 9/11, he would be lucky enough to avoid the horrible images but what he would know is the wonderful dedication of our servicemen and women, the "real life" heroes we saw that day, the pride in a great nation. That was not what the enemy wanted but that was what my son would know. He would grow up in a land that was free! He would be so very blessed to be an American!


"Our God is an awesome God! He reigns from Heaven above! With wisdom power and love, our God is an awesome GOD!" What a wonderful song that is and so very true! God is awesome and he watches over our great nation! May he continue to watch over our service men and women that are risking it all daily. May God watch over us as a nation.

5 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Amen, sista!

Megan L Hutchings said...

So true! I love that he is wearing an American onesie!!!

Givens-Craig Family said...

What a beautiful post! You truly summed it all up. When Harold and Uncle Mike called to tell me to turn on the television, I was nursing Hayden. I remember those exact same thoughts "what have I done -- bringing an innocent baby boy into a world like this".

Jacquie said...

I can't even imagine what it would have been like that day to be 8 1/2 months pregnant!

Your attitude is a great example of the good that came from 9/11.

Thanks for remembering my nephew, Cory, in your prayers! I know it is appreciated.

Stop by my blog any time!!

tondays said...

This post was beautiful. You did an excellent job of saying what I have thought so many times.

That picture of your little one is georgous - peaceful, as it should be.