Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Ramblings about American Idol...

I love watching American Idol! I missed the first season, but have managed to catch a lot of it on Fox Reality TV and I gotta say, as much as I like Kelly Clarkson's music, I am not so sure she would have been my winner! The only year I had a definite favorite was season five with Chris Daughtry and we all know how that ended. I am sure he is much better off for not winning the competition. Katherine McPhee, Rubben Studdard they've all been dropped from their record label. So does winning the competition matter as much as getting your name out there and your voice heard. On that note, after watching American Idol auditions the past few weeks...Do you think some of these people have anybody at home that can hear???? Scarlett wants to be the "next American Idol" she gets her stool and stands on it right in front of the TV and sings for us. I wonder about when she is sixteen and can try out for American Idol.. what if she is bad? I mean really bad like these people on the audition??? Do you trash your child's dream and tell them they are a really bad singer, or do you take them there and let them hear it from Simon, Paula and Randy.. or Okay, mostly Simon? We like to try to guess based on the interview if we think they get a golden ticket. We all take turns saying our reasoning behind the "yes" or a "no". The kids pretty much follow mom and dad. A sure sign it will be a BIG FAT NO is when they compare themselves to another singer, especially lines such as "...people say I sound like (insert any singer here)." Those are usually the worst! My husband likes to base it on how they annunciate words. I am not that scientific, if they seem humble and have a slight confidence they are usually a yes. Two nights of AI usually gets us through the week with at least one thing to laugh about. My kids are still going around singing ".. I am your brother..." and yes they know almost all the words! Aren't you jealous that you can't hear that song on a daily basis? So, here's to hoping tonight has a new "birdman".

1 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

You crack me up. And, yes I will tell my kids before they are made fun of by the entire nation if they are not good! I just don't know how they can't know. I knew I wasn't a singer, clarinet player, guitar player, drum player before my parents had to tell me! Wow, I went through a lot of instruments and I even left out piano. Yikes! I missed AI last night, but I'll have to try to catch it tonight.