Thursday, January 24, 2008

Confessions of a Shopaholic...

I am totally in love with Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series. It rings so true to home.. except for the fact that Becky (the confessed shopaholic) finds and marrys her millionaire, and well, I fell a little short in that department. But not in 2008, I have started the year out with a plan. I was going to BUDGET! and I mean budget really well, with a very well developed plan. After reading Financial Peace (yes, trust me.. the two books were not something to be reading at the same time, talk about conflicting interests) I decided Dave Ramsey had it right, maybe the envelope system was right for us. So, three weeks in it is going okay, with only one meltdown. Jack is so proud of me, even told me it made him love me more.. and here I thought there was no room for more love! I think it has taken a load off of him to not be so stressed and worry daily about "what has Michelle spent". I am excited and working hard at staying on budget, I even bought a day planner! I am so not a day planner kind of girl, but now I have become overly anal about checking and rechecking my figures and budget. One obsession to another!


Now for the meltdown... I am a ebayholic! Love it! and I love the Fisher Price Little People. I have boxes full of them that I refuse to get rid of even though my children no longer play with them. While browsing Ebay I found the 1972 vintage Little People Sesame Street set.. I snapped! I had to have it, so I bid.. and bid.. and bid.. next thing I know I have spent $56 plus shipping on a TOY!!!! What a thing to have a meltdown over.. it should have been a purse or a great pair of shoes! Anyway, Sesame Street arrived today and I must say I did not get the warm fuzzy feeling and did not feel like I made a good purchase decision.. guess should read Financial Peace again! But I am back on track and really, really trying.. which is a first and a definite step in the right direction. I hope this helps takes some stress off dear hubby who is SO patient with me! Love ya, honey! :) New year, new start.. new budget...one that I can stick with.


Here is a picture of the "not so worth breaking down, breaking the budget" purchase of mine.. but at this very moment my two kids are having a blast playing with the toy.. so maybe all is not lost.

1 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

I'm so proud of you! My sister and brother-in-law have done the envelope system for years and swear by it. I don't think either one of them even have a debit card! The toy is cute, and at least the kids love it. That has to make you feel better. Since you didn't get the warm fuzzy, sounds like you are over it and going to do great on your budget! Good luck!