Monday, August 25, 2008

The Diary of an Angry House

Here is hubby hard at work getting my laundry room ready to paint. I really did do some work this weekend. I promise I did not go around with the camera watching every body else.
I started on my cabinets last night. They are going to be a very light color once we get done. There was so much wood in the house and when we are finished.. there will probably be nothing brown at all! We had paneled walls everywhere! No more! We have a fairy tale pink room and a Razorback Red room! Just what the kids ordered.


I got to thinking this weekend about "if walls could talk". I am sure this old house we bought would have plenty to say to us. I am sure it is ANGRY! It has had a nice calm existence for the last forty years and then here we come! We have come in knocking down walls, tearing up cabinets and painting every square inch we can find. You see the house was nice, it was just "old" nice. It was a wonderful elderly couple that had lived there and they had enjoyed the space. Nice and quiet just the two of them. Enter the Cash Family! We are LOUD! We like COLOR! We are upsetting this little houses being. I figured the walls would have plenty to tell us about the last forty years and how wonderful it was and WHY did we have to mess it up? I imagined them pretty much cussing us out for ripping down safety and comfort among the old walls. But I like to imagine were giving it a face lift. We plan to bring it into the new millenium, and take this little house places it has not been in a very long time! I hope the angry old house will forgive us and learn to like it's new updated existence!
This is where we started. I think this picture was taken not long after we bought the house and we had started on the "easy" rooms first. This room will probably be a continued work in progress for a while longer. This is a before and after picture once we torn down the wall. It blocked so much of the view and I love the new openness of the room. My living rooms looks a little pink, I think we are going to have to repaint it. It was supposed to be a caramel pink, or a salmon color but with the lighting it looks pink. Hubby wants it repainted. I like it with the brick wall fireplace.. but then again I am a girl! Of course I like PINK! ha! We were trying to find something to match the brick, but I did not want GRAY. So any suggestions???
My dad is hard at work in all the pictures. At one point he told me if I wanted to keep my camera I needed to stop taking pictures! :)


This was my original color I had picked out, which is Ralph Lauren's Caramel Pink but hubby thought it was too dark, so now we have tried to go lighter but it looks a little pink!

Here is the cabinets that we are demolishing over the the bar. I don't really think my dad had planned on starting those last night.. but my mom wanted to start. Guess who won? I laughed and asked my dad yesterday "at what point, after he married my mom, did he realize he was in over his head?" ha! Of course my mom said he only realized he was in over his head after they had me. Either way my dad is great when it comes to helping me out and doing all my projects. :) Here is my mom with her tools. You notice my dad standing with is hands on his hips.. I think he was shaking his head, too. She was on a mission. I was just standing back and watching with a quiet snicker every now and then. :)


As you can tell there is still much to be done. We are hoping to rip out the old floors this week and get them ready for the new floors. Once that is done, we should be ready to MOVE! Ethan's birthday party is September 27th, I have been told we WILL be in the house by then, but I am not holding my breath.

Next I will start asking for decorating tips, I get to start picking out the curtains and all the small details. That's the fun part!

Hope you had a fun weekend with less work!

5 comments:

Givens-Craig Family said...

I don't think the house is angry at all, I think it is ready for the "ride". The hard work is so impressive! Cannot wait to see the finished product.

The Polk Family said...

It's going to be so worth it once you're finished! You all can sit back and admire all of the hard work that will make your house "home" to you. BTW, that ole kitchen reminds me so much of the kitchen in my dad's rental that Jason, AE and I used to live in. Memories....

Megan L Hutchings said...

WOW! Re-doing an old home is just as extensive as building a new one ;)! I can't wait to see the finished product!!!

tondays said...

nice to meet you, thanks for visiting me over at my blog.

i enjoyed reading your post - looks like you have your work cut out for you, but will be worth it in the end.

please visit me again, i look forward to reading more of your journey.

Leigh Ann said...

It's coming along! I know Earl and Fred will have you in before Ethan's b-day. It is going to be so nice when you are done. You aren't going to know what to do with all your free time when you are finished! I can't wait to see it.