Monday, January 12, 2009

Me and my big mouth...

One thing that I am definitely guilty of A LOT is speaking before I really think things through. I managed to do it again today. We were doing our school work and during our history lessons we talked about Nomads. The kids loved the fact that they were wanderers and lived in tents or caves. We headed outside on a journey to build our own nomad like dwelling. Fast forward forty minutes and we realize it would take FOREVER to build a dwelling place for us to play in so we setttle for a smaller version just for stuffed animals. It all worked out great because during science we talked about habitats, so the kids were able to tie it all in together. It is so much fun watching them grasp new concepts and learn new things.
Yes, I did try to get a picture of Scarlett beside the "fort" but the sun was bright which made her very unhappy and she refused to sit there and smile until the sun was gone! Guess who or rather what won that battle!

Back to the backyard and my big mouth...I tell them we can build our tent in the backyard and sleep in it and then they could really see how the Nomads lived. Major excitement breaks out! "Yes, Yes, let's do it NOW, let's build it today!". Luckily I have to work tonight, but I have promised we would build the tent tomorrow. Pray for me that we don't actually have to sleep in the tent! I know it would not be very Nomad like if I built it in the carport so that we can use our portable heater, but that may just be what we do. We did got and get our tent and the kids have looked at it and begged all afternoon. I really need to learn to keep my mouth shut!!! Stay tuned for the rest of the Nomad journey.

4 comments:

Givens-Craig Family said...

You are so good with the kids. I am loving this post. Hope you enjoy the tent! :-)

Lindsay-ann said...

Love the nomad tent made of sticks, sounds like you had a fun day.
Good luck with the tent. I will keep my fingers crossed for you not to have to sleep in it!!
Lindsay

Megan L Hutchings said...

I can only imagine how inventive your kiddos are :)!

I will be praying for a tent made out of sheets and blankets!!!

Clay and J said...

Hey girl, just found your post through your comment on my blog! What a creative way to teach! Your kids are getting so big, too. I don't remember the last time I saw them....maybe a birthday party for either Dana or Matt at cock of the walk??? By the way, I have another blog jennifersoapbox.blogspot.com and I've written two posts on homeschooling, and would love for you to weigh in if you get a chance! :)